I have just finished Tori Amos' book "Piece by Piece". In it she describes her life. But she also describes how she handles being a woman and an artist, and gives advice on how to be both. And after reading it I find that i am both inspired and terrified.
I am a liberal. I am a Pagan. I am a daughter, sister, and friend. But at the core of everything, I am a woman. When it comes to being a woman in this world, I thought I had it all figured out. But after reading Tori's book I remember that pretty soon I am going to be considered to be middle aged. This is a very scary thought. The idea that the world will look to me as a human being for advice and guidance is something that terrifies me. I'm not ready to show people how to live. I'm not even ready to teach a baby how to walk. But maybe that is the beauty of it all. Maybe in not believing that I know everything I am getting ready to learn the lessons that I will teach the next generation. Maybe if you think you know it all, you miss all of those lessons. Still, I am terrified.
Many people have said that I have a way with words. That I know how to speak and write well. And it is after reading Tori's book that I feel inspired by this talent. I have always believed that knowing how to write well is an art. For it is through words that we have the power change the world. And I realize that these words do not have to be complicated or long. I do not have to have a great vocabulary in order to tell people what I think. The words I have a dream are only one syllable long each but they are words that still help to inspire and change lives today. So it is with words dear reader that I am going forth, fighting against RSD and for a change in the world that I believe can happen, no matter how naive you think I am. It is my belief that everyone makes small changes to the world every time they open their mouth. They don't even have to open their mouth, they may use their hands to shake anothers, clap in approval, or punch in rage. And it is the human spirit that makes these things happen, and it is the human spirit through words and hands that we can change the world for better or for worse. I'm going to use my words for better. You may choose what you want to do with your hands or your words, but whatever you do, make sure you understand that you are changing the world, one person at a time.
Sunday, October 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment